Welcome to our website. We hope it will be useful to our residents and ratepayers as they will be able to keep up to date with what is happening in Council by reading the Council minutes and they will be able to find out about the services we provide. It will also be helpful to those who want to find out about the Tatiara and to those who want to visit our area, as they can click on the tourism section that gives details about our district and town attractions. We welcome any feedback on extra information you would like to see, or problems you have with this website.
The Tatiara District Council has a population of 6,580 and is one of the largest Local Government areas in South Australia (6,525 square kilometres). We are located in the Limestone Coast (Upper Southeast) region of South Australia and have the main service centres of Bordertown and Keith and the three smaller townships of Mundulla, Wolseley and Padthaway.
Tatiara means "the good country" and the District is fortunate to have an abundance of good underground water, a very low unemployment rate, excellent facilities and a country lifestyle. We are ideally located, being two and a half hours from Adelaide and four and a half hours from Melbourne.
The economy of the district is firmly based on the agricultural and pastoral industries - chiefly the production of grains such as barley, oats and wheat, and stock such as sheep, cattle and pigs. In some areas there is extensive irrigation, which has facilitated the growing of small seeds, flowers, vegetables and olives. Many seasonal workers are employed by the buoyant viticulture industry. JBS Australia (Tatiara Meat Company), a export meat processing works is located just out of Bordertown and processes up to 5,000 sheep a day.
Council's Vision Is:
"A vibrant, prosperous and connected community building its own opportunities"
Council's Values Are:
- Accountability - We share information frequently and are transparent in our decisions. We are accountable for our actions and
manage tough situations with openness and frankness.
- Leadership - We lead by example and demonstrate the courage to do what is right. We dare to explore new opportunities and
challenge the way ‘things have always been done’.
- Respect - We work together to build strong relationships with each other, our community and our other stakeholders. We show
consideration for one another and embrace each other’s differing perspectives to make better decisions.
- Integrity - We model ethical behaviour in all our words and actions. Our interactions with others are based on honesty and
- Community - We are committed to our community and will reflect our community’s aspirations. We will ensure that all members of
our community are able to contribute and be heard.
Chief Executive Officer