Menu

Tatiara. The first taste of South Australia

Overlay

Dr Penny and Charla

Dr Penny and Charla

Dr Penny and Charla

Rowney Road , Mundulla SA 5270

Charla

Formerly the Deputy Colonial Surgeon at Robe, Dr R. Penny was persuaded in 1859 to set up practice and become the first resident doctor for the district. 

In 1864 Dr Penny spent 765 pounds on building a house and other improvements. He named the house "Charla". He practiced at "Charla" from 1859 until his death in 1887. His practice covered 100 square miles, necessitating many hours on horse back or buggy over rough tracks visiting his patients.

When he was practising, the importance of sterilisation was unknown, but Dr Penny suspected there was a connection between dirty instruments and deaths. Many people owed their lives to him and his realisation of the importance of hygiene.

Dr Penny's surgery was at the eastern part of the home next to the room which he used as a hospital. Residents needs were looked after by Dr Penny's daughters.

He was the only doctor serving the town of Bordertown and the farmers in the agricultural area surrounding the town.

When Dr Penny died, his son's family lived at "Charla" and Mr Samuel Penny then worked the land. After his death the farm was sold outside the family.

In recognition of Dr Penny's contribution to the district, the elderly citizen's units at the Bordertown Hospital have been named "Charla Lodge".

Got 30 minutes?

Got an hour?

Staying a day?

Staying awhile?

Connect
with us

Find our
wifi hotspots

Tatiara District Council

43 Woolshed Street

Bordertown SA 5268


T: (08) 8752 1044

E: office@tatiara.sa.gov.au

Wifi Location: Front foyer

Morning Loaf Bakery

81 North Terrace

Bordertown SA 5268

Wifi location: Front foyer


Tolmer Park

North Terrace

Bordertown SA 5268

Wifi location: Park

Keith Institute

Heritage Street

Keith SA 5267

Wifi location: Park


Don Moseley Park

Memorial Avenue

Keith SA 5267

Wifi location: Park

Download the
Tatiara Visitor Guide

Click here (PDF 20mb)