Menu

Tatiara. The first taste of South Australia

Overlay

Old Wirrega Council Chambers

Old Wirrega Council Chambers

Old Wirrega Council Chambers

Packer Avenue , Mundulla SA 5270

Old CouncilChambers

Council Chambers were built and first used on 1st June 1886. From 1888-1903 the Tatiara Council met in the old Wirrega Council Chambers until its own chambers were built in Bordertown in 1904. The last meeting took place on 7th January 1888, when the Wirrega Council was then divided into two wards (Mundulla and Buckingham) of the Tatiara District Council.

The District Council of Wirrega was proclaimed on 30th July 1884. The councillors at this time were John Kennedy (chairman), Edward Steer, Thomas Jewell, David Jones and William Carson.  The town streets are named after these men and other district pioneers.  

The building has a varied history of use having been a public reading room, a residence, the tennis clubrooms before being restored for the town centenary in 1973 and was leased to the local branch of the National Trust.  It is now the base for Mundulla on the Move and contains photographs and the original furniture of the Wirrega Council.  An old style flower garden fronts the building and a mound behind the building has been planted with native plants.  

 

Image courtesy of Flying Ant GIS

Got 30 minutes?

Got an hour?

Staying a day?

Staying awhile?

Connect
with us

Find our
wifi hotspots

Tatiara District Council

43 Woolshed Street

Bordertown SA 5268


T: (08) 8752 1044

E: office@tatiara.sa.gov.au

Wifi Location: Front foyer

Morning Loaf Bakery

81 North Terrace

Bordertown SA 5268

Wifi location: Front foyer


Tolmer Park

North Terrace

Bordertown SA 5268

Wifi location: Park

Keith Institute

Heritage Street

Keith SA 5267

Wifi location: Park


Don Moseley Park

Memorial Avenue

Keith SA 5267

Wifi location: Park

Download the
Tatiara Visitor Guide

Click here (PDF 20mb)