Early Settler's Cottage
Davis Cottage consists of a small four-roomed limestone rubble cottage with a low-pitched iron roof and two massive fireplaces at one end, standing on one of the suburban allotments surveyed around Keith. It is now a National Trust museum, and nearby is a shed housing machinery and vehicles.
The town of Keith was surveyed in 1889, straddling the Adelaide-Melbourne railway, with the usual square of suburban allotments intended for small farming outside its parklands. This cottage is on the first suburban allotment taken up, by William Davis in 1894, and is believed to have been built soon afterward as one of the earliest buildings in Keith. Its location is unusual, for people who farmed the suburban allotments mostly lived in the town, and few houses were built on them. The cottage has been bought by the National Trust and now operates as a house museum.
Davis Cottage is of heritage value as a relic of early agricultural settlement in the Tatiara.